What to say
You can’t fix this. You can’t take away their pain. You can be with them in the midst of their pain, and that might be the greatest gift you can give.
We can’t tell you what to say. We don’t know your person or the situation. But you do, and you know the relationship you have with them.
Words that can be helpful:
- How are you doing today?
- I’m sorry you are going through this.
- I’m here for you.
- I have no idea what to say, but I care about you.
- Do you want to talk?
- Do you want to tell me about them?
- It's OK to be a wreck.
- I'm thinking of you today.
- You can talk to me about it.